There are so many amazing reasons to stay at the Banff Springs Hotel. Besides being the most famous hotel in Banff National Park, this monumental castle hotel in the Canadian Rocky Mountains has a nearly endless list of amenities to offer guests.
Guests of the Fairmont Banff Springs will marvel at the history which permeates this historic hotel, while enjoying its many award-winning amenities and services. From fine dining, luxury shopping, a tranquil spa and one of the finest golf courses in Canada, there are so many reasons to stay at the Banff Springs Hotel.
What You’ll Find in This Article on Reasons to Stay at the Banff Springs Hotel:
Every effort has been made to ensure the information below is accurate, but please confirm your details when you book your stay at the Fairmont Banff Springs. This post contains compensated links.
Distinctions Awarded to the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel
The history of the Banff Springs Hotel is closely tied to the history of the settlement of Western Canada. One of the historic railroad hotels of Canada, the captivating history of the Banff Springs Hotel is one of the many reasons to stay at the Banff Springs Hotel.
- Cementing its important place in Canadian history, the Banff Springs Hotel was named a National Historic Site of Canada in 1988. The plaque on Spray Avenue reads:
“This hotel is among the largest and most renowned of the fashionable resort hotels established along railway and steamship routes in Canada. Constructed by the Canadian Pacific Railway Company, the hotel developed an international reputation for excellence as a vacation retreat. Its striking natural setting, Château-style design and lavish interior decor appealed to a wealthy clientele seeking a wilderness experience in opulent surroundings.”
- The prestigious travel awards the Banff Springs Hotel has won includes the Best Resort in Alberta (5 times), the Best Spa Resort in Alberta, the Best Hotel in Alberta, the Best Ski Hotel in Alberta, and many more…
- Not only has the Banff Springs Hotel been recognized as one of the most important buildings in Canada, but it also resides in one of the premiere locations within Banff National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The Banff Springs Hotel is nestled in on the lower slopes of Sulphur Mountain, with Tunnel Mountain and Mount Rundle nearby. Located on the confluence of the Bow River and Spray River, the impressive Bow Falls are just minutes away.
The Iconic Banff Springs Hotel
After a devastating fire destroyed the original hotel in 1926, the Banff Springs Hotel was rebuilt in the majestic Scottish Baronial style. Today, this historic railway hotel is known as the Castle in the Rockies.
- The original Banff Springs Hotel began welcoming guests in 1888. The Banff Springs Hotel has been a beacon of luxury in the Canadian Rocky Mountains for over 130 years. Take a glimpse at the amazing history of this historic Canadian railway hotel with these historical Banff Springs Hotel images.
- With an astounding 757 guest rooms, the Banff Springs Hotel will have a room perfect for every guest.
- William Cornelius Van Horne had the original vision of the Banff Springs Hotel. A statue of Van Horne greets guests as they drive into the main courtyard of the hotel.
- Join a long list of distinguished guests of the Banff Springs Hotel, including King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, William Lyon Mackenzie King, Teddy Roosevelt, Marilyn Monroe, Winston Churchill, Helen Keller and many more.
Marilyn Monroe visited Banff with then boyfriend Joe Dimaggio in 1953 to film “A River of No Return“. Master photographer John Vachon captured Marilyn Monroe’s time in Banff in his beautiful photobook, “Marilyn, August 1953: The Lost LOOK Photos“.
Luxury Amenities at the Banff Springs Hotel
Guests of the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel have no shortage of luxury amenities to choose from. An award-winning spa and championship golf course are among the many reasons to stay at the Banff Springs Hotel.
- Guests enjoy admission to the Banff Springs Hotel aquatics centre with two pools. The centerpiece of the aquatics centre is a large, elegant indoor pool lined with columns. Enjoy views of the mountains from the many picture windows which line the side of the indoor Banff Springs Hotel pool.
In addition, guests can enjoy swimming in or lounging around the outdoor Banff Springs Hotel pool, which also has an incredible view of the Bow Valley.
- In addition to the Banff Springs Hotel pools, guests also enjoy access to an amazing fitness centre. The fitness centre offers guests free weights, cardio equipment (treadmills, bikes, etc.), scheduled fitness and yoga classes, and much more.
- The incomparable Willow Stream Spa was named the Best Hotel Spa in Canada by Travel + Leisure magazine. Treat yourself to a luxurious spa treatment (such as a massage, a facial, etc.) Then enjoy a relaxing soak in a mineral pool, soothed by the sound of a tranquil waterfall.
Make your stay at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel magical with a Willow Stream Spa package. This luxurious Banff Springs spa package deal includes one Willow Stream spa treatment per adult (per night), self-parking and gourmet breakfast daily at STOCK Food & Drink.
- Tennis anyone? You’ll have a tough time finding another tennis court with scenery as good as the one at the Banff Springs Hotel!
- Have a few great laughs while enjoying some 5-pin bowling at the Banff Springs Bowling Centre.
- The incredible Banff Springs Golf Course is conveniently located adjacent to the Banff Springs Hotel. The Banff Springs Golf Course is a three-time winner of the Best Golf Course in Canada award, while the Banff Springs Hotel has been named the Best Golf Hotel in Canada.
Lucky golfers can combine these two award-winners with a Banff Springs golf package, which includes a round of golf, shuttle service, complimentary golf club storage and self-parking.
* many of the amenities described in this post are included as part of a mandatory $30/day Resort Experience Fee.
Fairmont Banff Springs Room Amenities
It will come as no surprise that the guest rooms at the Banff Springs Hotel are special. Even the most basic room at the Banff Springs Hotel will make you feel luxurious, but you can also upgrade to rooms with a fireplace, a jacuzzi or an open-air terrace. You can even stay in a room designed for royalty!
- Registered guests at the Banff Springs Hotel will enjoy many room amenities. We think the best feature of the Banff Springs Hotel rooms are the windows that open, allowing guests to enjoy the fresh mountain air, even while in their room.
- Some Banff Springs Hotel rooms feature an electric fireplace. Rooms with a fireplace at the Fairmont Banff include a Gatehouse Room, Gatehouse Suite and the Terrace Suite.
- The Banff Springs Hotel is one of the few Banff hotels with a private hot tub. Guests who reserve a Terrace Suite can soak their weary bones in a private in-room Jacuzzi tub after a day of playing in the Canadian Rocky Mountains.
- Castle-lovers the world-over are drawn to the Banff Springs Hotel, the Castle in the Rockies. If you love castles, a stay in a Junior Suite Turret will be a thrill. Located in one of the quiet turrets of the Banff castle, each Turret Suite features a spiral staircase to a private bedroom and bathroom.
- Many are drawn to Banff National Park to enjoy the clean air, pristine forests and majestic mountains. With a large outdoor terrace, you can continue to enjoy the best scenery in Banff with a Terrace Suite at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel.
- Guests on the private Fairmont Gold floors at the Banff Springs Hotel will enjoy a private check-in counter and personalized service from a dedicated Fairmont Gold Manager. In addition, guests of the Fairmont Gold rooms enjoy daily continental breakfast in the Gold Lounge, afternoon canapés, an honour bar and a selection of books, games, CD’s and DVD’s to enjoy.
- If you desire the very best room at the Banff Springs Hotel, the Royal Suite is your room. Specially designed for royalty & dignitaries, the Banff Springs Hotel Royal Suite is the largest room in the hotel and is located in the pinnacle of the castle, offering 360-degree views of the splendor of Banff National Park. Unique features of the Royal Suite include a grand piano and an upper perimeter library.
- Many Banff Springs Hotel rooms offer accessible amenities such as a tub/shower chair or stool, a non-slip mat, a shower transfer bench, a toilet raiser and/or a person lift.
- For those seeking a larger hotel room, the Banff Springs Hotel suites offer additional space. The suites at the Fairmont Banff range include a Junior Suite (325 square feet), a Gatehouse Suite (375 sqft), a 1-bedroom suite (450 sqft) and a 2-bedroom suite (850 square feet) .
- For a detailed look at the most inexpensive room, see our full review of the Fairmont Room at the Banff Springs Hotel.
Amazing Guest Services
The long list of amazing guest services continues to add to our lengthy list of reasons to stay at the Banff Springs Hotel. From a campfire pit, a helpful concierge, cultural programs and even an on-site museum, you’ll love all the services on offer to guests of the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel.
- Enjoy incredible mountain vistas while sitting in front of your complimentary campfire pit rental. Add to this magical mountain experience with a purchase of a s’mores kit.
- It may surprise you to know that the Banff Springs Hotel is one of the best pet-friendly hotels in Banff. 30% of your one-time cleaning fee will be donated to the Bow Valley SPCA, Canada’s only no-kill, no-cage adoption centre. Pet-sitting services can be arranged for you upon request.
Service dogs are always welcome at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel at no charge.
- Need help with your Banff itinerary? In addition to helpful local suggestions and directions, the Concierge Desk at the Banff Springs Hotel is happy to provide help with your transportation, dinner and activity reservations.
- Are you planning on visiting Banff without a car or simply wish to explore the town of Banff without battling the local traffic in Banff? The Banff Springs Hotel provides guests with complimentary access to the ROAM local transit service. There is a bus stop located just outside the Fairmont Banff front doors.
- Who doesn’t love having their bags brought up to their room when checking into a hotel. When you stay at the Fairmont Banff Springs, you can enjoy this luxury and not even need to worry about having small bills to tip the bell staff – the gratuity is included in your daily Resort Experience Fee.
- Enjoy hundreds of local and international magazines and newspapers with complimentary access to the PressReader electronic newspaper service.
- Spend some time exploring the photographs and exhibits in Heritage Hall and learn about the fascinating history of the Banff Springs Hotel.
- If you’d like to treat yourself to an exclusive, premium experience, the Banff Springs Hotel has many options for you to choose from. Experiences will change, but example offerings are a Banff area photo shoot with a local photographer, a golf cart tour through a wildlife corridor, a local brewery tour and a Lake Louise tour.
- Broaden your horizons with one of the many cultural programs at the Banff Springs Hotel. The cultural programs continually change, but may include activities such as a visit with the Artist in Residence, a Naturalist Table, guided walks and bike rides and even stargazing!
Banff Springs Hotel Amenities for Active Guests
Banff National Park is a beacon for outdoor enthusiasts. The Banff Springs Hotel provides packages and services tailored towards the outdoor crowd, including special packages for skiers and golfers.
- Downhill skiers love staying at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel with the Luxury Ski the Canadian Rockies package. Downhill skiing enthusiasts, planning to do some skiing in Banff, will enjoy two ski passes per adult (per night) valid for either the Lake Louise Ski Resort, Sunshine Village or Mt. Norquay.
Also included in this Banff Springs Hotel ski package is shuttle service to the ski hill, daily à la carte breakfast, gratuities and self-parking. Complimentary ski storage is provided to all guests of the Banff Springs Hotel, even those who do not book the ski package.
- Guests of the Banff Springs Hotel who wish to exercise in the comfort of their own room will enjoy the ALL Be Well fitness programs available for complimentary on-demand viewing on guest room televisions.
- The Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel is also pleased to offer complimentary guided hikes, wilderness walks & bike tours (weather dependent).
- Guests of the Banff Springs Hotel can enjoy a fun challenge with self-guided scavenger hunts.
- The Banff Springs Hotel has an excellent offering for cyclists as well. Guests staying at the Fairmont Banff may enjoy a complimentary 1-hour bike rental. Cycling enthusiasts who bring their own bike will enjoy the complimentary bike storage.
Popular Banff cycling routes include the Bow Valley Parkway and the Minnewanka Loop. In addition, specially curated cycling routes near the Banff Springs Hotel can be viewed using the RunGo app.
- If you are going on one of the many excellent Banff hikes, guests may borrow outdoor equipment such as hiking poles, ice cleats, etc.
- The Banff Springs Hotel is pleased to offer active guests the opportunity purchase exclusive experiences and tours. Offerings may change, but examples are a Sunrise Hike up Tunnel Mountain, a Vermillion Lakes bike tour, a snowshoeing tour, ice walk tour or fat biking tour.
- Leave all your active gear at home and take advantage of the wide variety of equipment rentals at the Banff Springs. If you need it, chances are they have it: stand-up paddleboards, bikes and trailers, snowshoes, sleds, ice cleats and even hockey sticks!
Fine Dining at the Banff Springs Hotel
Outdoor adventures are plentiful in Banff National Park, but guests of the Banff Springs Hotel will also be treated to a variety of culinary adventures. The Banff Springs Hotel offers an unsurpassed selection of restaurants, ranging from simple meals to nationally recognised hotel restaurants.
- If you are looking for an unforgettable meal at the Banff Springs Hotel, look no further than the Vermillion Room, a finalist for Canada’s best hotel restaurant in 2020.
- In season, you may enjoy open-air fine dining on the Lookout Patio while soaking in the panoramic vistas of the Canadian Rocky Mountains
- Treat yourself to a simple meal, exquisite coffee or a scrumptious baked good at STOCK Food & Drink, conveniently located in the main lobby near the concierge desk.
- The Banff Springs Hotel’s newest and most exciting private dining experience is the 360-degree dome. Situated on the Vermillion Lawn, the 360-degree dome is a fun & unique way to enjoy an exquisite meal while enjoying the world-class scenery of Banff National Park.
- Enjoy the finest cuts of meat at 1888 Chophouse, a modern take on a classic chop house restaurant.
- Overlooking the Banff Springs Golf Course, the Waldhous Restaurant offers amazing three-course meals in a Bavarian-style cottage.
- Choose from a selection of amazing private dining experiences ranging from in-suite dining experiences to a private room in one of the hotels best restaurants.
- When you simply must have an authentic Italian meal, visit Castello Italiano for wonderful pasta dishes and perfectly paired wines.
- Get all dressed up for afternoon tea at the Banff Springs Hotel. Choose between traditional afternoon tea or a Canadian afternoon tea, with a local twist!
- Grapes offers guests delightful cheese & charcuterie boards paired with Canadian wines.
Kid-Friendly Banff Springs Hotel
What kid wouldn’t be thrilled to stay in a real life castle? Feel free to indulge their fantasies as the Banff Springs Hotel is one of the most kid-friendly hotels in Banff!
- Kids are treated like special guests from the moment they arrive at the Banff Springs Hotel, when they are presented with a special welcome gift.
- Childcare: For parents who wish to have a romantic dinner at one of the excellent Banff Springs Hotel restaurants, the Kids @ The Castle program offers a child-minding service on select nights from 6-9PM. If you require child-minding outside these hours, the hotel can arrange babysitting services with a third-party provider.
- The Banff Springs Hotel has many kid-friendly room configurations. The following rooms at the Banff Springs Hotel are big enough for a family of four:
- A Deluxe Room with two Queen beds
- A Gatehouse Room with two Queen beds (with an electric fireplace)
- A Gatehouse Suite with two queen beds – a very large room with an electric fireplace.
- A very large 1 bedroom King suite with double sofabed.
- A very large 2 bedroom suite with one king bed and two doubles.
- A Fairmont Gold 2-bedroom suite with 1 king bed, 2 double beds and complimentary breakfast.
- Families staying at the Banff Springs Hotel with kids can request cribs, cots and even connecting rooms.
- One of the many reasons the Fairmont Banff Springs is such a kid-friendly hotel is the wide variety of activities for the whole family to enjoy. The line-up of complimentary kid-friendly activities continually changes but may include a castle treasure hunt, geocaching, bocce ball, tennis and even ice skating in the winter!
- If you don’t mind paying extra, the Banff Springs offers premium kids activities such as an outdoor wilderness adventure, a raft float tour, tennis lessons or a photo scavenger hunt.
- If you plan on exploring the best of Banff with your kids, you can leave your large kid equipment at home. The Banff Springs Hotel provides guests complimentary child carrier backpacks, strollers (subject to availability).
- Kids who enjoy fun activities will love the complimentary take-away craft kits.
Things to do near the Banff Springs Hotel
While the Banff Springs Hotel may only be a few minutes from all the amenities of downtown Banff, guests of the hotel can enjoy a wide variety of things to do near the Banff Springs Hotel, including:
- Banff Trail Riders: Take a tranquil one hour horseback ride past the Bow Falls, the Spray River and through the forest on Sulphur Mountain.
- Float Trips: Banff Adventures offers a Hoodoo Float Tour which departs nearby the Banff Springs Hotel. Enjoy fantastic Banff National Park scenery along your 7km trip down the Bow River.
- Bow Falls: Enjoy a beautiful walk from the hotel down to the nearby Bow River, where you can stand on the shore and witness the power of the majestic Bow Falls.
The fun doesn’t stop there! We have a full post dedicated to the things to do near the Banff Springs Hotel.
Luxury Retail Shopping at the Banff Springs Hotel
Shopaholics will love exploring the 17 exciting retail shops at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel. From incredible artwork to elegant clothing, there is something for everyone to buy at the Banff Springs Hotel.
- Bring home a special memory of your stay at the Banff Springs Hotel with a souvenir from the Fairmont Store. In addition to sundry and convenience items, the Fairmont Store has a wide variety of designer clothing and souvenir clothing.
- A beautiful piece of jewelry from Castle Jewels will be a special souvenir you can enjoy again and again.
- A walk through the Banff Springs Hotel is like walking through an art gallery. Take home a special memory of the Rocky Mountains with a beautiful painting or sculpture. Take your time enjoying the art offerings at Mountain Galleries and the Quest.
- Get all geared up for outdoor adventure at Chateau Mountain Sports. In addition to outstanding outdoor clothing and gear, Chateau Mountain Sports offers equipment rentals.
- Satisfy your sweet tooth with handmade chocolates at the Mountain Chocolates store.
- Stay cozy with clothing made from Canadian Arctic Muskox, the warmest, softest and most luxurious fibre in the world. Another fun way to stay warm is to get matching flannel jammies for the whole family at the Rocky Mountain Flannel Company.
- Wild About Nature is a fun store full of traditional tourist souvenirs with a nature and wildlife theme.
- Canadian history buffs will love browsing the goods at the Canadian Pacific Store. In addition to CPR merchandise, you can buy a wide selection of Banff Springs Hotel amenities ranging from bathrobes to the same beds used in the hotel!
- A beautiful outfit will make a special souvenir of your stay at the Castle in the Rockies. There are several apparel boutiques at the Banff Springs Hotel including Avenue Road and Snowflake.
Guests of the Banff Springs hotel enjoy $20 off at hotel retail outlets with a minimum spend of $100.
Banff Springs Hotel Offers
We hope you were inspired by these 70 amazing reasons to stay at the Banff Springs Hotel. Why not check out the latest offers at the Fairmont Banff Springs to see if one captures your imagination? You’ll never forget a stay at the Banff Springs Hotel, the Castle in the Rockies!
Where to Stay in Banff
Recommended Banff Hikes
Found this post useful? Save it or share it with your friends!
Dan Brewer, a life-long Alberta resident, calls Canmore home along with his wife and two kids. He is the co-owner of Travel Banff Canada, where he gets to share his passion for the Canadian Rocky Mountains. Dan, along with his family, love being outdoors doing one of the many activities they enjoy in the mountains: hiking, mountain biking, paddleboarding, skiing, snowshoeing and cross-country skiing.
When he's not in Canmore enjoying one of his favourite local hikes, you can find him hoping on a plane to explore a new country with his family or working on one of their other two travel sites: Family Can Travel and Baby Can Travel.